Hello! Today I have a great gift idea to share with you. Christmas is just around the corner, but these are great for anytime giving (to yourself, too!). And they are lightening fast to make, I promise! I bet you know someone that would love to have one of these sweet mugs with its matching Honeycomb Mug Home!
The fabrics pictured are from my daughter’s (Bonnie Christine) collections, designed for Art Gallery Fabrics.
Know what makes these little quilts so fast to make? There is no binding to sew on! Look closely and you’ll see that it certainly looks like traditional binding on the edges, but not so...watch my short video tutorial and I’ll show you how easy it’s done. You can make a set of 4 in an evening! Bonnie and I have a free, downloadable pattern here, if you’d like a printed hexagon template.
You can order the mugs online in Bonnie’s Society 6 shop. You’ll find many of her fabric pattern designs available there, printable on a variety of products. Here’s how to order:
- Look at the available mug patterns, then look at her fabrics.
- Choose two fabrics that coordinate (for front and back of your mug rug). Be sure to choose fabrics that are also available as a mug.
- Place your mug order with Society 6, (usually ready to ship out in about 2 business days) and place your fabric order with A Stitch in Time (same day shipping).
As soon as your fabric arrives, whip out the mug rug. When your mug arrives, you’re ready!
You’ll love the quality of the mugs, too! They are dishwasher and microwave safe.
You will be able to make three mug rugs from two different 1/3 yard cuts. (Total of 2/3 yards.) Choose one for the top, and one for the backing and binding.
- Glue Stick (See my products page).
- Spray Starch or Starch Alternative (I prefer Flatter).
- 1/3 yard medium weight cotton canvas for inside the mug rug. (optional)
- Cotton batting
- Coordinating thread
- Marking Pen for fabric (See my products page)
- General Quilting Supplies
- Hexagon ruler (optional)
Enjoy making mug rugs! It's a great way to practice your machine quilting, too! If you like my video, please be sure to subscribe to my youtube channel and post pictures of your mug rugs on instagram tagging us @maxiemakes and @goinghometoroost! God bless!